Monday, February 02, 2009

Go Back to Bed

If you haven't checked out The Paranormal Pastor blog, you ought to, because the man knows how to tell a good ghost story.

What I'm offering today isn't really a ghost story. But let me preface this by saying that I grew up in a haunted house. Ask anybody who ever visited, much less spent the night there, and they will tell you hell yes that was one spooky-ass place.

When I was about 22, I was living at home and working nights, so I would sleep through the day. One afternoon I woke up to the sound of voices. Nothing particularly unusual about that, as we heard voices there quite often. But these were the voices of two men having a conversation. I got out of bed and walked to the den, where I found two men standing by the door to the sunroom talking about something. I don't know what they were saying.

One of them saw me and said, "He's awake."

The other man turned to me and said, "Go back to bed."

So I did. I went back to bed and fell asleep without a second thought. Only when I woke up a couple of hours later did it occur to me how strange this was.

This isn't a ghost story. I'm not sure what kind of story it is. I may have been dreaming, but it doesn't feel like a dream. The memory is vivid because of its high strangeness.

No comments: