Thursday, January 08, 2009

Hey Mikey!

I do most of the cooking in my house, and when I take lunch, I almost never just make a sandwich. Those green box frozen dinners ain't happening for me. Tonight I whuppt up a batch of Yangchow Fried Rice to take to lunch tomorrow.



Like any other prophet, I am not appreciated in my own home. My children don't much care for most of what I make, though they do prefer my homemade pizza to pretty much anywhere else. Neither does my wife enjoy many of the things I make. I have had to learn to cook without such basics as onions, celery, green peppers, mushrooms, etc. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying.

So tonight, I ask if anyone would like to try some Yangchow Fried Rice. My oldest son enjoyed watching me make it (just like Iron Chef, he said), but he wasn't interested in tasting the final product. I called my youngest. He took one look at it and said no. I said, smell it. He did. He leaned over and smelled it again, then looked up at me and said that smells gooooooood!

He tried it. He likes it! He's only five! There's hope!

No comments: