Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy God Damn New Year

Remind me, why do we celebrate the new year? This occured to me today. What purpose does it serve, other than to give us an excuse to mix alcohol and explosives? Isn't it true that the only reason Jan 1st is a Federal holiday is so people can't sleep off their exuberrances of the night before?

It's been years since I marked the occassion in any way. I stopped bothering to care because, to be honest, I don't need an excuse to get drunk and make a fool of myself. It happens too close to Christmas to be of any practical use.

New Year's Day is the only secular, non-political/historical holiday on the calendar. If we're just going to have a gimme holiday for no particular reason, I'd much rather it fall during the long holidayless months between President's Day and Memorial Day.

I propose we move New Year's Day to the second Friday in April! At least then it'll be warm enough to shoot fireworks at midnight, and it will always give us a three day weekend. That's something I can celebrate. Frigid mid-week New Year's celebrations suck polar bear nuts.

1 comment:

polijn said...

Funny how my 1mentally-and-emotionally-12-but-stuck-in-a-40-something-year-old-body sister-in-law couldn't understand why I didn't want to go party with her last night. I understand that I'm the perfect designated driver, but why the hell would I want to go to a smoke-filled bar and watch people get drunk until 2 a.m. There's a rock band, too? Great, I'm sure there'll be a bunch of other seven-months pregnant girls there just like me to party with...